Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mount Liberty & Mount Flume (6/3/13)

Mount Liberty
--4,459'--
--3.8 mi (one way)--
--#18--

Mount Flume
--4,328'--
--5 mi (one way) 1.2 mi from Mount Liberty--
--#25--

Total Hike
--10 miles RT--
--8-9 hours (which includes breaks)--


I think I'm going to start posting a picture of the map to help anyone reading this!

There are a few ways to get to Mt. Liberty and Mt Flume. My friends and I took the Liberty Spring Trail to Mt. Liberty then took the Franconia Ridge Trail to Mt. Flume (not labeled) then back tracked. We were warned multiple times NOT to go down Flume Slide Trail. My hiking book I have says its one of the most difficult trails in New Hampshire because it's not maintained well and hard to find the trail. 

To get to the trailhead:
Take exit 34A off of 93 in Franconia Notch. It's the first parking turn off. There is no fee. There are bathrooms at the trailhead. 
From the parking lot, head onto the Pemi Trail for .6 miles, until you reach the bike path. Follow the bike path over two bridges and there will be a sign on the right for Liberty Springs Trail. (From the parking lot its a total of .9 miles to Liberty Springs Trail)

Fun Fact: Liberty Springs Trail is part of the famous Appalachian Trail and is maintained well by the Appalachian Mountain Club. 

It was a great day for hiking. It was humid, we sweated more than usual, but there was no rains. It was a cloudy day but the sun was still able to peak through. 

    

Seeing the campsite means you're only .6 miles away from the summit of Mt. Liberty! $8 a night to camp.



::Mount Liberty::




Loon Mountain on the left side of the picture

Cannon Mountain (4,100')





::Mt. Flume::

From Mt. Liberty, its 1.2 miles to that peak, Mt. Flume

Looking at Mt. Liberty from Mt. Flume

(From Left to Right) Mt. Liberty, Little Haystack Mt (4,780'), Mt. Lincoln (5,089'), Mt. Lafayette (5,260')
A couple of my friends hiked those three in the distance the Friday before this hike.

"Get on my level" :)



The sun was peeking out

Looking at Owl's Head (one of the hardest 4,000 footers to get to)


---------
I bought a new camera before this trip, a Canon SX160 is. I don't have a trip pod yet, but I wanted to just test out the ISO (shutter speeds) and try and get the soft looking water. Not too bad! 



This was a moderate trial and very well maintained. Its a great day hike, even if you wish to only hike Mt. Liberty.

A tip from the camp Caretaker who we met hiking up:
"If you are sweating enough, people wont see you crying" :)

My 4,000 Footer List


The Highlighted mountains are the ones that I have completed so far (as of today). I hiked Mt. Washington first in August 2012. There are 48 mountains in New Hampshire that higher than 4,000'. Its a great way to challenge yourself and have fun doing it! Although I have only done 5, I still feel great about my accomplishments so far. Its been a little over a year since I broke my ankle! 

For more information about the 4,000 Footer Club, click here:


No comments:

Post a Comment