Friday, May 23, 2014

Welch and Dickey Mountains (5/21/2014)

Welch Mountain
--2,605'--
--1.9 from trailhead--

Dickey Mountain
--2,734'--
--.5 from Welch--

--4.4 mi Loop--
--Book time 3-4 hrs--
--Personal time 2.5 hrs--

Trailhead
Orris Road in Thornton, NH - exit 28 off of I-93
Parking: $3


Don't let the size of these mountains fool you into thinking they're easy...because they're not! I'm not in my best hiking shape yet, but this certainly kicked my butt! I was not expecting a challenging hike, but the views were worth it!

The trail was very well maintained and marked. You are in the woods until the first view point (not yet to Welch) then from there you are in and out of tree coverage, hiking, scrambling, squeezing around boulders and climbing trees to follow the trail. It was fun!


Before the first view point. The beginning of the rock slab you hike for the rest of the trail.


Follow the yellow brick road **don't lose sight of these!!!**

This kind of shows you the steepness going up Welch Mountain. At times my ankles were hurting!

You may not be able to see the red at the top of the rock, but that's a person.


On top of Dickey Mountain where I met a couple who had completed the NH48 with their dog Sparky and were doing the 52 With a View list. 


Many stone stairs on this trail. Once you enter the woods at the end of Dickey Mtn., its a nice descent, great way to finish the loop! 

You will end up at this sign. Take a LEFT. It doesn't tell you where the parking lot is, but its that way! :)

The yellow markers were very important to watch for on this hike. Since the rock slab looked the same, at times I found myself looking around and realize I was going the wrong direction. At some parts, you need to look on trees or look up (some are hard to find). 

No comments:

Post a Comment