Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Ending was the Beginning

Hello Readers!

So I'm deciding to share about when I started hiking and WHY I did, before I get into blogging about all the hikes I do. Hopefully it wont bore you all! :)

As many of my closest friends and family knows, softball was a HUGEEEEEE part of my life. I played for about 16 years. During college I played both softball and ran for the cross country team. (I love sports!)



In my 3rd year of college, I broke my ankle sliding into home plate during a spring training game in Florida. To make a long story short...that ended my career.


It was a worse break than the doctors thought in Florida. I had to get immediate surgery the day after I got back into Boston. (Lucky me, the surgery was at Patriot Stadium!!!) I got some hardware....


After I left Boston and got my cast removed, I began physical therapy. Probably the most frustrating thing I've ever done! The doctor I transferred to said that I may need additional surgery because my bones weren't lining up right. But since it wasn't bothering me, I didn't need it! While still on crutches, air cast, and re-learning to walk, I ended up gardening as a hobby and just having a really strong desire to be outside and do stuff, (probably because I wasn't enjoying being a couch potato).




Exactly FIVE months after I broke my ankle, I hiked up Mt. Washington (largest mountain in NH, 6,288ft) with one of my best friends. It was the BEST day out of the whole summer (summer of 2012!). And after this HUGE LONG hike...I fell completely IN LOVE with nature, mountains, and spending time with other people. Here's a few pictures from that day...it proved to me I could do anything, even when others say I can't!




 LOVE HER! :) 

Well, there you have it...how it all started. It hasn't even been a year, but I'm so obsessed with hiking! The ending was the beginning. Mt Washington helped me get to where I am... I want to be a #Fearless #Hiker.

<3

1 comment:

  1. Awesome first post! Glad to have you aboard..I'll add your hiking blog to my list, so others can check out your page :) Happy Hiking!

    ReplyDelete